Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chx & Mushroom Pesto over Wheat Linguine - Serves 4-6

Shopping List:

  • Fresh Basil leaves (about 2 cups chopped and packed)
  • Fresh Garlic
  • 15-30 Mushrooms (I like Cremini or Shiitake, optional)
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • Parmesan Chz
  • Olive Oil (a cooking must have!)
  • Chx Broth
  • Heavy Cream
  • Box of Wheat Linguine

1 . In a large skillet at 2 tbsp. of olive oil, the mushrooms sliced, and a clove of garlic minced all over medium heat. Sautee the mushrooms until soft. While those are cooking, start a pan of hot water to boil for pasta. Now I cube and cook the chx in a separate pan with some olive oil and add later but you can start cooking chx first then add a little more oil and then sautee the mushrooms and garlic all together. Whatever you perfer.

2. PESTO SAUCE:

2-3 Cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups, packed, coarsely chopped basil leaves
Pinch of course salt
1/4-1/2 cup pine nuts
5 tbsp Parmesan Chz
1/3 - 1/2 cup olive oil
Combine everything into a food processor except the oil and mix to a paste. Gradually blend in the olive oil and adjust seasoning to your liking. I would suggest ajusting the amount of pine nuts or garlic to what you like. Recipe should make app. 1 1/2 cups maybe 1 3/4.

3. Once the mushrooms are soft add 1 cup of chx broth and let that reduce, about 10 minutes. Then add 1 cup of heavy cream and let that reduce as well. As that reduces cook your pasta. I'm not good at how much pasta to cook, I always cook too much. Usually I grab a big handfull and start there. I don't mind cooking too much because Nate and I take leftovers for lunch.

4. Once that's reduced (it should have thickened a bit and look very rich) remove from heat and add the your pesto sauce to it. Blend well. The thickness of the sauce will depend on how long you've let it reduce and how long you let it sit before serving. Feel free to mix the pasta into the sauce if you'd like. Nate and I just do it self serve so we can choose the amount of sauce we both personally like. Delizioso!!

This is just a recipe that I've thrown together so feel free to adjust it to how you would like it! I love garlic so I always add a lot of it! This is probably a longer recipe to prepare but totally worth your time and once you try it, it gets easier and easier. Plus it's great to do for company! Show off your cooking skills! It's not exactly like Noodles and Co. but just as delicious if you ask me! :) Happy cooking! ~K