Sunday, February 28, 2010

Couscous Salad with Sauteed Shrimp Scampi

I think this recipe comes from Rachel Ray but I got it from one of my friends, Julie, when Nate and I spent the summer in Dayton, Ohio. It's been one of our favorites ever since! I have changed a few things in it to work for me better. The recipe originally had the shrimp being grilled which I've only done once because we don't have a grill. I found that the sauteed shrimp is just as easy and might be more tasty then on the grill. Anything I change will be in purple along with the original instructions. (Sorry for any blurry pics, I'm a sub-par photographer)

Ingredients:

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp. plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled & deveined
salt and fresh ground pepper
One 10-ounce box couscous (1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups chx broth & water
Juice and grated zest of one lemon
1/4 cup flat or Italian parsley, chopped
1 seedless cucumber, peeled & chopped

1. In a medium bowl, toss half of the garlic with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and shrimp. Heat a sauce pan over medium heat and add the garlic shrimp combo spreading them out so they cook evenly, about 2 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper. Or for grill, preheat grill to med-high. Skewer shp, season with s&p and put of grill, about two minutes on each side.

2. In a microwave dish, stir couscous with 3/4 cup chx broth and 3/4 cup of water. Flavor with pepper to taste and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Fluff with fork. At this point I put into whatever dish I'm planning on serving it in.

3. In a small bowl, stir together the lemon juice and lemon zest, remaining garlic and the parsley. Whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and toss with cucumber. The recipe says to peel the cucumber but I never have. I think I never noticed that it said that. I think the green rind gives it some extra color and texture.


4. Spoon cucumber mixture over couscous and top with shrimp. Give it a little stir to mix everything together and enjoy.

We always just eat this as a main course but you could also serve it along side another main course. Hope you like it! It's yummy! Enjoy!